In Buttermilk Marinated Chicken With Golden Berry Relish
1. First make the marinade. Pour the buttermilk into a large oven dish or roasting pan (the chicken must fit into it later).
2. Roast mustard seeds, nigella seeds and peppercorns in a dry frying pan over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. Put the spices on the buttermilk.
3. Put the onion and garlic in the hot frying pan (without oil) and bake until they are all around. Put them in the marinade. Ris the lemon thyme from the twigs and add to the marinade.
4. Cut off the neck of the chickens if they are still there. This is most convenient with wild scissors. Then lay the chicken up with the back and cut out the spine. Turn the chicken over again and press the sternum until it breaks and the chicken is flattened. Place the chicken with the meat side down on the onion rings in the marinade and spoon the marinade over a little. Let marinate for at least 6 hours now. Turn halfway.
5. In the meantime, make the golden berry relish by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl.
6. Light your Joy Stove.
7. Scoop the chicken, onions and garlic from the marinade and pat dry on kitchen paper or a clean tea towel. Sprinkle the chicken inside and out with salt.
8. Grill the chicken in 35 to 40 minutes. Put the onions and garlic on the barbecue for the last 15 minutes. Turn regularly so that it becomes nicely brown. Serve the chicken with the relish.
THE INGREDIENTS (4 PERS.)
4 spring chickens
400 ml buttermilk
1 tbsp black mustard seed
1 tbsp of nigella seed
1 tbsp black peppercorns
2 onions, halved
8 cloves of garlic (in their skin)
12 sprigs of lemon thyme
400 gr golden berries, in quarters
2 snack cucumbers, sliced
1 chilli pepper, finely chopped
4 branches of coriander, leaves and stalks finely chopped
4 branches of leaf parsley, leaves and stalks finely chopped
zest and juice of 2 organic limes
4 tbsp mango vinegar
1 tsp salt
ENJOYED THIS RECIPE